Well, it started Saturday when my tooth, that has a 10-year old root canal and crown, started hurting. Sometime between lunch and dinner, it began to hurt, so by dinner time, I could no long chew on the left side.
It continued to hurt on Sunday and when I woke up at 5:00am Monday morning with it throbbing and me crying, I remembered that I have some narcotic medication leftover from my foot surgery 2 years ago. I was SO thankful I still had it! I took one and 800mg of Ibuprofen and, within 20 minutes, I was back to sleep. My boys didn't even wake up until 8:15 when I did.
I went to the dentist that morning (Monday) but she referred me to an endodontist. I had an 8:00 appointment yesterday (Tuesday), Mark watched the boys for me, and by 10:00, I had my old root canal redone. That's right- I had another root canal in the same tooth. The doctor said it is common and there was infection inside the tooth.
I asked for laughing gas but because insurance doesn't cover it and I was already spending over $600, I thought I could be tough and save an additional $200. It really was not bad, just a big pinch from the original Novocaine injection. It didn't hurt nearly as bad as all the attempts for my epidurals. I think I had to have two attempts with both deliveries.
I came home and decided, since no social plans worked out, that I would take Hunter to get his blood drawn. At his 3 year appointment last week, his doctor asked about any possibility for lead poisoning, so I told him how Hunter is so oral and still puts toys in his mouth to chew on them. (He probably gets this from me since I am the "bubble gum queen";). ) The doctor ordered a blood draw just to be safe with all of the China-made toys and lead paint concerns.
Off we went and I told him he was going to have a "blood draw" and that when he was done, he could have a sucker and a sticker if he was good. He had no idea what a blood draw was, of course, so he was quite excited. "I'm going to get a blood drawing and then I can have a sucker and a sticker." Boy was he in for a surprise. Poor kid. He must have jerked when she put in the needle, so he had to have it drawn on the other arm, too. I had to hold him down and he screamed, of course. I quickly calmed him down because I told him he could have a sucker afterward.
Phew, man, what a day!
2 years ago
2 comments:
A root canal and getting your kid's blood drawn? Same day? Amazing. You're half crazy, you know that?
Feel better!
I need laughing gas....I am wincing in pain reading this!!!
Post a Comment