(Hot stuff.)



I organized a play date for my neighbor gals/workout moms (WOMs) today at an Arlington sprayground. That's right- a playground with a sprinkler-type area where water shoots out of different holes and swirls around, changing positions periodically. It's a good time for kids, plus there are two jungle gyms, a picnic area, swings and a big sandbox. I try to organize something for us to do weekly to have something to look forward to with my sweet neighbors and their cute kiddos.


So, Hunter had no interest in getting wet and almost immediately headed over to the sandbox area, where he played with other children and by himself. He's taking after his daddy because he enjoys playing by himself, although they both enjoy others, too. His mama is an extreme extrovert. (Side note: Thank you, God, for making me who I am.)


So, after Hunter filled his mouth with sand, by trying to get the sand out of his mouth with his sand-saturated hands, I told him it was time to rinse off. He began by protesting, telling me he didn't want to get wet. I knew this was going to be difficult, but my hatred for dirt made me pres on. I put a smile on my face, encouraged Hunter that everything was going to be okay and we (I) gleefully approached the spraying area.


I knew there would be a scene but I was really hoping it would abate after a few moments of encouragement. Much to my dismay, I drag Hunter, my smile in place, over to a sprinkling area to rid him of his sand infestation. He proceeds to scream as if I were peeling his skin off with acid but I hold strong, determined that sand will not take over my car. I decide, "Honey, let's count to ten to get the sand off." He persists in his screaming, but I count, remaining strong, smiling all the while. "Ten. All done. Good job, sweetie." I look around, not sure if someone is calling CPS but, besides some people watching looks, I think I did okay.


I sit Hunter down on a bench to dry off and talk him back to sanity and what bothered him so much about the spray. Although I never did get an intelligible response as to what he afraid, I decide he just didn't want all of the water shooting at him, maybe it was too much to take in for him. Who knows?


He was cool, though. We talked about it on the way home and he knew I wasn't trying to scare him but simply wanted to get all the yucky sand off of him. He even repeated the story to Mark, so I don't think I did any permanent damage. Phew! Another close call for therapy.



Checking out his new bubble blower.


J.J. and mama Pam


Patty with one of her girls, Maggie, and Hunter

5 comments:

Kendra aka The Meanest Momma said...

Is that Lyon Village? We usually go to the one at Hayes Park (it has bathrooms!).

Funny about Hunter & the water - Silas is not too into it either, but Wesley loves it. Looks like fun (except for the de-sanding process)

Lora Lynn @ Vitafamiliae said...

Mine were scared of showers and spray thingies, too. It took making them take showers instead of baths for them to get over it.

The Farmer Files said...

I learned a trick from other mommies in Hawaii. Sand falls right off when you sprinkle baby powder on the kids.

Hunter is too cute! :)

Anonymous said...

Sorry I misssed the fun. If you want to try it again, I would love to go with you. Renee

Famiglia Grande said...

Hubba Hubba - what a cutie pie in the sand. I agree with everyone else's comments - practice in the shower. Jimmo has the same fear of the shower and so now we try to shower him more then bathing him in the bathtub.