Yes. You read correctly. Colten was diagnosed with 'Failure to Thrive' Monday as he weighed one ounce less than a month ago at 12 pounds 4 ounces. I prayed about it before the appointment but apparently didn't factor in the fact that he could actually not weigh any more. I just figured he would have gained weight. (I guess that's obvious; otherwise, I would have done something sooner.) Upon seeing the number, I began to cry some, realizing that my little guy has not had enough nutrition to meet his potential.
Dr. Fox came in and reassured me (and Hunter). Hunter was asking, "What's wrong, Mommy?" I gathered myself and we discussed the next step, supplementation.
It's a nursing mom's nightmare. It's hard to stimulate more milk when the baby gets it elsewhere but he's obviously not getting enough from me on his own, so I need to either give him stored milk or formula.
I can happily report that after 3 days of supplementing, Colten has gained 6 ounces! I am pumping and/or nursing every 2 hours, approximately, and pray that I start making more by his next weight check appoitment on Monday.
The strange part which I do not understand is that Colten is such a happy, content baby and not crying from hunger all the time like you would think a baby would be who is not getting enough milk. I would (cry, that is)! Nonetheless, we're on the road to weight gain and there will be no more "failure to thrive".
One more thing. Hunter, who is now 90th and 97th percentiles for weight and height, got down to the 10th percentile at 6 months. That's when I introduced solids and he took off in weight and really chunked up! I could hardly ever feed him enough. I, apprently, didn't make much milk for him, either.
Oh well, he's huge now! Maybe Colten will be, too.
2 years ago
8 comments:
Hey, Michelle--I'm sorry you had to hear upsetting news and I know that is so hard as a mommy. But I'm glad to hear he's already making progress! I'm sure he'll be linebacker sized in no time! :) And he's such a cutie!!
Michelle,
I have been there, girlfriend. Do the pumping as long as you want!!! Other people thought I was crazy for pumping and nursing like that, but it worked. And it sounds like your body is responding!!! 6 ounces in 3 days?!?! WOOO-WEEEE!!!! Avg babies do .5 oz to 1 oz a day! Keep you in my prayers!
Thank you, R. I wish I could take the credit but I am supplementing with frozen milk and formula. I am making pitiful strides in collecting milk, except at night when I go to bed. That's what I am working on with the pumping.
Mark and I are still toying with the idea of coming to see you!
With the first one...sigh...all I did was pump for 6 months and put it in a bottle. I still think you are just as cool. It's a huge commitment to pump.
We would love to have you in Hawaii or San Diego. Just let us know.
Aloha!!!
Hang in there Mama! Praying for you & love you.
You are a great mom and I know you'll do the best you can for your baby. make sure you are EATING (i know how you are) or at least drinking lots of protein shakes. You look fabulous, girly. Now eat some calories.
He will still be all boy, never worry. And since you have a history of skinny babies turning into beefy men, I wouldn't sweat it too much.
HUGS.
(If you want some healthy fat, try coconut oil mixed with honey, or make a smoothie with coconut oil in it and natural peanut butter and bananas.)
You're doing a great job taking care of your big guy! Good for you for doing everything you are! He is a cutie!!!
OH MAMA
He's gorgeous!
Get growing little man! Keep the faith mama
Post a Comment