Okay, so last week I may have been a little dramatic by saying that Colten was diagnosed as 'failure to thrive' but I just ASSumed he was. His doctor said he did not diagnose him with that, afterall. Well, after one week and lots of prayer, God showed He is faithful as always. Colten gained 13 ounces! That's almost 2 ounces a day! He finally started pooping on a daily basis, actually multiple times a day. For anyone who doesn't have children, that is a sign of weight gain (or I read that it is). As a matter of fact, he just blessed me with it! ;) He had been going a couple of times a week, maybe. I thought he was just an efficient pooper.





I looked at his growth chart (percentiles) today to see his progression...or digression, if you will. His weight started at around the 30th at birth, moved up to the 50th at 2 months, down to the 5th at 4 months and then OFF the chart at 5 months (5 months old and 12 pounds 4 ounces). Today, though not back on the growth chart, he still made an almost verticle leap on it! His pediatrician was thrilled, and so was I!





This all means that I was not making him enough milk and supplementation is working beautifully. I am currently pumping or nursing every 2 hours and bottle washing and bottle feeding in between. I don't have time for much else around the house, but I know it's only a short-term situation. I just really pray I start making more....soon....or that I would feel at peace with not making more and having to switch to formula to supplement altogether. Thank you for praying. I know a lot of people have been asking about my little guy.

Oh, and too bad Hunter shows no interest in feeding Colten a bottle. That sure would be a lot of help...I think. Today, when I asked him if he wanted to try feeding Colten, he said yes. It lasted for a few seconds and then he was off playing. Oh well. I will have to try again.

Not the best picture but here's my little guy taking in some more yummy milk. I am SO thankful!

6 comments:

Naturally Caffeinated Family said...

That's great! Good for you and Colten! What a sweet guy! Will keep praying for you and for Colten :)

The Dancy Family said...

Hooray for Colten! Way to grow :o). Keep up the great work Mama! Love you! I'll keep praying for y'all.

Renee said...

That's wonderful news! He will be as big as brother in no time. We'll keep praying for you two.

Bringing Up Boys said...

You are doing a great job mama! I had to supplement with both my boy too! Hey, as long as they are happy and gaining weight that's all that really matters right! :)

ARK said...

Good job Colten on gaining weight now keep it up and try to get mommy not to worry:) ( I know, coming from the queen mother of worrying)Still praying for your milk supply, peace, and weight gain!
M:)

Famiglia Grande said...

The power of a Momma! Isn't it delightful. Sorry I missed your call before we left on vacation, we'll catch up this week.